The city walls of Dubrovnik offer the best views of the city and the surrounding points of interest. A small fee will let you walk all 1940 metres of them. Set aside an hour and a half to walk their length and take in the view of red roofs and the sea.
The most photogenic (and romantic) view comes one to two hours before closing time, when the sunset gently illuminates the rooftops of the Old Town. Plan more time if you want to stop for a coffee or cocktail (vendors set up cafés along the way) or visit the Aquarium and Maritime Museum at the wall’s south-eastern edge. Along the way, you’ll be able to duck into outposts and climb defensive towers, peer into townspeople’s back yards, and identify other important sights from excellent vantage points.
There are several entrances to the walls, a staircase at the beginning of Stradun and the one opposite the Dominican Monastery are the most obvious, the latter being easier to climb.
City Walls – Association of Friends of Dubrovnik Antiquities
Gundulićeva poljana 6, 20 000 Dubrovnik
Phone: +385 (0)20 638 800, +385 (0)20 324 641,
Fax: +385 (0)20 638 805
City Walls Working Hours
1 April – 31 May – 8.00 am 6.30 pm
1 June – 31 July – 8.00 am 7.30 pm
1 August – 30 September 8.00 am – 6.30 pm
1 October – 31 October 8.00 am – 5.30 pm
1 November – 31 March 10.00 am – 3.00 pm
Prices of individual entrance tickets
- Adults – 100,00 kunas (The entrance ticket is also valid for Fort Lovrjenac. If visitors first buy entrance tickets for Fort Lovrjenac at the price of 30,00 kunas, they will have to pay an additional 40,00 kunas for the city walls
- Children and young people from 5 – 18 years of age: 30,00 kunas (The entrance ticket is also valid for Fort Lovrjenac.)
- Students, journalists, Croatian Army soldiers, policemen and disabled persons: 30,00 kunas
- Residents of Dubrovnik-Neretva County: 30,00 kunas, if they purchase the tickets at the city walls entrances
- Admission free for all schools of the Dubrovnik-Neretva County upon request, with tickets to be collected from the Society Office, Society members, tourist guides, and group leaders.
Prices of group entrance tickets
- Adults (voucher): 100,00 kunas
- Children and young people (voucher): 30,00 kunas
- In other exceptional cases such as complimentary entrances, voucher tickets are issued